Parent FAQ

How much does fraternity life cost?

All fraternity chapters on campus who are governed by IFC charge their members in the form of "chapter dues." These costs vary between chapters. Further, these costs are different for new members, versus members living in the house, versus members not living in the house, etc. Check with your prospective chapter for updated financial information. 

Do fraternities provide housing?

Most of the fraternities governed by IFC operate chapter houses on the University of Minnesota campus, which provide the opportunity for small-group living. Since the membership recruitment process happens during the school-year, students should secure their own housing before considering living in a chapter house. Typically, freshman and transfer students live on-campus in residence halls or apartments, and many then move into fraternity houses their second year (residence hall contracts are on an annual basis). 

What is new member initiation like?

Most organizations require their members to complete a probationary period, sometimes called "pledgeship" prior to initiation for the purpose of orientation and member development. During this time, you'll learn the rich history, traditions, and operating procedures of the organization and participate in activities to get to know the members better.

Organizations use various terms to refer to their pre-initiates, including "pledge," "new member," "associate member," or "candidate." 

The duration of the new member period varies between chapters but typically will not exceed one semester. Some chapters require new members to achieve a certain grade point average during their new member period, and beyond, to maintain affiliation with the chapter. 

Do fraternities haze at UMN? 

Hazing is commonly defined as any action taken or situation created, whether on or off fraternity premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Anti-hazing legislation or policies have been adopted by the State of Minnesota, UMN, IFC, and all national fraternities. If you are subjected to hazing, state law requires that you report it to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. Hazing has no place in the fraternity community and should NOT be tolerated. Click HERE for the University of Minnesota's hazing stance and reporting tool.

Alcohol and Recruitment

Recruitment is intended to provide opportunities for potential new members to get to know fraternity chapters and vice versa. According to University Policy, alcohol is not to be served to minors under any circumstances. No alcohol should be served to minors during any recruitment function, whether it is one-on-one or in a large group. Most IFC organizations also have national policies that bar the use of alcohol at any and all recruitment and new member activities.

If you are under 21 and you are offered alcohol at a fraternity event, that Chapter is violating Minnesota State Law, the University of Minnesota's Code of Conduct, IFC Policies, and most likely that chapter's national policy. No alcohol should be used or present during any recruitment function or event, of any kind. 

How can I contact a fraternity chapter?

To get in contact with a specific fraternity chapter at the University of Minnesota, visit HERE to see our chapter list, where you can click on any chapter and visit their website to find their contact information. 

17 Appleby Hall, 128 Pleasant St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© 2020 by BeGreek at UMN